MSC fisheries standard
How can we help you?Request information
Know what you need?Request quote
The Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) fisheries standard ensures that a fishery is well managed and responsibly harvested to sustain the set targets and the surrounding marine environment.
What is the MSC Fisheries StandardThe MSC Fisheries Standard is applicable to all wild capture fisheries. The standard is based on three core principles:
- Sustainability of exploited fish stocks
- Maintenance of the ecosystem on which the fishery depends
- Effective and responsible management
Benefits of becoming certifiedCertification to the MSC Fisheries Standard enables your organization to:
- Fulfill market requirement of third-party verification of sustainable fishing
- Differentiate products in an increasingly competitive marketplace
- Be a preferred supplier
- Adapt to the environmentally conscious consumer
- Support the positioning of your product with the eco-label
- Demonstrate good resource stewardship to the community and stakeholders
- Contribute to increased pressure for improvement on non-sustainable fisheries
The most important element in the certification process is to transparently identify and address issues about target stock(s), the impact of fishing on the marine environment, and the effectiveness of the fishery’s management system.
Specific circumstances out of your company’s control may prevent you from becoming certified, such as unsustainable governmental policies. Thus, the pre-assessment is a fundamental step in the certification process in order to identify possible problems at a very early stage.
The assessment includes measuring the fishery against the principles of the standard, considering the unique circumstances of the fishery. The certification process includes involvement of fishery experts, consultations with stakeholders and submission of reports at specific stages.